The proposals will bring the award-winning Vita Student development to Cardiff and will comprise:
- 320 self-contained studio student apartments of the highest quality designed by award-winning architect Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios;
- Refurbishment and the re-use of the listed 11 Park Place building;
- A market-leading 11,000 sq ft ground floor ‘hub’, which will include amenities for residents such as a movie and games room, gym, private dining area and study rooms;
- “The Laundrette”, a new restaurant unit on Park Place/Stuttgarter Strasse open to the public leading onto a new enhanced public courtyard;
- Enhanced, usable public space of the highest quality;
- New pedestrian crossing over Park Place and improved Stuttgarter Strasse crossing;
- Contributions towards major improvements to the Cardiff Dock Feeder.
Further detail on the proposals can be found on the ‘Documents and Downloads’ tab.
Vita Student fully appreciates the prominence of the Bradley Court site, and the fact that this is a key gateway into Cardiff city centre. We therefore appointed the award-winning architecture firm Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios to design the scheme.
Since the submission of our original designs in June of last year, we have maintained discussions with officers at Cardiff Council, as well as external consultees, and have provided a significant number of revised design sketches in response to the comments we have received. We have also submitted three full redesigns of the application proposals in order to achieve a high quality design for the site. We firmly believe that the current proposals, shown below, respond to comments and provide an outstanding scheme both in terms of design and materials used.
The Existing Site
The Bradley Court site has now been vacant for over two years and is falling into disrepair. Some images of the current site are below:
The site is in a highly accessible location, being within walking distance of Cardiff city centre, Cardiff University, Cardiff Central Railway Station and the Cardiff Bus Terminal which is currently being redeveloped.
The Bradley Court site is within a short walk of a large number of the Cardiff University buildings, including the Students Union, which is 500m further up Park Place.
Public Realm improvements:
Vita Student intends for the redevelopment of the Bradley Court site to substantially enhance the areas beyond the existing building footprint by providing significant public realm improvements. This includes:
- A new public courtyard looking out towards the New Theatre, served by high quality new restaurant called ‘The Laundrette’
- Pedestrian improvements to Park Place and Stuttgarter Strasse
- Contributions toward enhancing the ‘Dock Feeder’ opposite the site next to the New Theatre.
Vita Student is keen to hear your thoughts on the proposals and how improvements could be made to the public realm in this area. Please let us know your thoughts through the ‘Have your say’ tab, above.